Friends of the Cathedral
The Friends were founded in 1937 with the objective of “supporting the Chapter of Manchester Cathedral in maintaining and improving the fabric of the Cathedral and precincts and to help enrich the ornaments and furnishings”.
Over the past 80 years, the Friends have endowed the Cathedral with many beautiful and practical gifts which include:
- Four of the five contemporary windows on the Cathedral’s West wall
- The nave altar and banners
- Contributions to the Music Department including a new grand piano and sponsoring a chorister
- Re-designing the Welcome Area
- Replacement of chairs for the nave
- Financing the Education Department and grant to the Archives Department
- Donation towards new kitchen for the Refectory
The Friends rely entirely on subscriptions, donations, bequests and the income from investments to fulfil their objectives. We must find new members to help with the work of preserving the Cathedral – a house of prayer in a busy conurbation.
Membership of the “Friends” forges links among those who love Manchester Cathedral. As a Friend of Manchester Cathedral you will receive information about events at the Cathedral and enjoy a programme of outings and social events throughout the year.
Please help us to continue this support by becoming a Friend. Opens in new window
Membership of the Friends is variable.
- Individual - £25 per annum
- Family/Household - £35 per annum
- Corporate - On request (Schools, Parishes, Business concerns, etc.)
Any amount given in excess will be greatly appreciated and classed as a donation.
Cheques and POs payable to Friends of Manchester Cathedral or use a Banker's Order.
- Spring Outing - usually takes place in May to a Cathedral City
- Autumn Festival – with speaker and buffet meal in the Visitor Centre
- Christmas Luncheon – in December in the Visitor Centre
- The Friends Annual General Meeting – takes place in July when members attend Evensong and enjoy a buffet tea together.