Today we welcome back Cards for Good Causes, who will be selling cards and other goods in our Cathedral Visitors' Centre from today until December.
In 1959, James “Jim” Jackson, Secretary of the British Diabetic Association, gathered a group of medical charities together to discuss the coordination of publicity for selling charity cards at Christmas. In 1964, they began selling cards from empty shops in town centres. The name “Cards for Good Causes” was first mooted in 1971, but it was not until 1988 that it was formally established as the trading arm of The 1959 Group of Charities.
Cards for Good Causes manages a national network of over 300 charity Christmas card shops across the UK, aiming to represent at least 25 charities. Pop-up shops open at various points throughout the lead up to Christmas, typically from September to December, at sites such as churches, libraries, community centres, tourist information centres and museums.